Thursday, April 17, 2008

To Be or Not To Be...

The coolest thing about getting into the "Biz" right now is that there are LOTS of changes. I learned that 49% of Denver agents did not have one transaction in 2007. So when they say "you can't swing a dead cat in this room without hitting a real estate agent" it was probably true. This wild market is quickly weeding out those that were just on the bandwagon hoping to reap some quick dough. Not the ones that hoped to keep it as a career and be studious business folk, taking special care to uphold the reputation and ethics of a Realtor. They are likely the ones that helped build the "it's all about me" reputation, which has lead to FSBO's, the need for agents to feel like they need to drop their commission and the all around negative association people have when they think of a Real Estate Agent.

I never had the opportunity to list a house and have 7 offers the second the sign went up, who knows, I may know that some day, but today I will earn my wings. Nothing will be just a free ride. I will build my client base, treat people with respect in hopes of referrals, I will starve some days, but eventually it will all come around.

I have to laugh some days, otherwise I would cry. But one day I will be searching feverishly for a part time job on Craigslist and the next day I will be writing an offer for a client that had been on the fence for months. You just never know. It is hard to search for jobs, when finally in your heart you have found your passion.

I have faith, tons of it. My family thinks too much faith! They say put a number on how much you are willing to "throw away" on this career, when that number is spent, find something else. It is not that easy, when I am peeling through Craigslist job postings, all I can think in my mind is how much I love what I do with Real Estate. If I have to work to pay for this career for awhile, it just feels right.

No comments: