Monday, December 10, 2007

Wealth Building is Relative


I attended a "wealth building" conference up in Keystone, CO. Keystone was amazing----by the way. I am always a bit leery of this type of thing----wealth building.... hmmm.... Yeah, money is handy, but by no means is my motivator. I am motivated by people, emotion, time, love---so spending a couple days with people who simply want to make fat cash and be driven in a hearse with a luggage rack when they die, is not my cup of tea. I was pleasantly surprised to find a speaker that spoke to my heart, my emotion, my soul. Andy Andrews, funny, genuine and one of the few that truly understands the value of wealth.

Here are his thoughts in a nut shell:
  1. Choose to be happy
  2. Seek Wisdom
  3. Be responsible for yourself
  4. Be a person of action
  5. Have a forgiving spirit
  6. Persist without exception
  7. Have a decided heart
The simplicity of his words sink deep into my soul. I try to write them down, study them often, utilize them daily, own them. If I can find happiness and bring happiness to others lives, then I am wealth building, if it eventually becomes a monetary addition to my life then I guess that is a bonus. There is irony in the fact that we pay to wealth build, I kept listening to all the speakers wondering if what they said was adding up to my $200 cost to learn to "wealth build", like a virtual cash register ringing in my head.


Some other snipets that I will try to carry on throughout my life...
*greet people with enthusiasm (eg. Norm at Cheers)
*Don't be "sheeple" Baaaaaad! A.K.A. Sheep People following the herd
*Forgiveness does not have to equal trust
*Agree to disagree---but STILL move forward
*Treat others as they would like to be treated (Platinum Rule)
*Successful people make decisions quickly & change their mind slowly
Unsuccessful people make decisions slowly & change their mind quickly
*It is in your moments of decision that your destiny is shaped
*Wisdom is what we do with the knowledge we have

Does that feel like $200 bucks of wisdom? If not I guess if you add in the fresh air, great company, incredible scenery and adding a new location to my list of places I had never seen before, I got pretty close!

No comments: